On 16 September How To Ditch Your Fairy will find its way on to the book shelves of the USA and Canada. I am vastly excited.
Why am I excited? you ask.
I mean, yes, this is my fourth novel. You would think that I’d be jaded and bored with the whole thing by now and yet I am not. Here’s why:
- This is my first novel in 18 months. Yes, it’s been a veritable drought!
- It’s my first non-Magic or Madness novel. I will confess that by book three I was bored out of my gourd with Reason and Tom and Jay-Tee.1 It was a huge pleasure to write something completely different.
- And trust me it really is completely different. For starters it’s funny. Also there are no mathmatical geniuses to hurt this poor writer’s head. There’s lots of sport, even cricket. Not to mention mangosteens and ——s. I know how much you lot love ——s.
- Even if you hate sport you will still enjoy it. I road-tested it on several of my sport-hating friends2 and they didn’t even notice the sport. Cunning, aren’t I?
- It’s my first novel with my brand new publisher Bloomsbury and they’re sending me on my very first tour. I know! How exciting is that? Vastly! I only have a few dates confirmed so far but will let you all know as soon as I know.
So I don’t seem like a total self-promoting bore let me mention some other books that are out this month.3 Books that are so brilliantly awesome your brains will explode with joy as you read them:
- Kin by Holly Black
Part one of the best graphic novel ever. Faery and betrayal.
Rapunzel’s Revenge by Shannon Hale
Also the best graphic novel ever. A non-wimpy Rapunzel. Hurrah!
Cycler by Lauren McLaughlin
Gorgeous sex-changing screwball comedy.
Bliss by Lauren Myracle
Clever creepy scary excellence. *Shudder*
Skinned by Robin Wasserman
A different kind of creepy excellence. My favourite YA science fiction novel of the year.
Although these books could not be more different they all have one thing in common: I read them in one sitting. Completely unable to put the book down. Go forth and read!
And while you’re at it check out Scott’s interview with Lauren.