The responses to Scalzi’s talking about whether writers should be married or albino or live in igloos or smoke crack have flooded the internets. It’s so out of control I’m not even going to link to any of it. I am merely going to offer my own rules for writing:
- Try not to procrastinate too much in your efforts to avoid 1.
- Unless procrastinating really helps with 1.
- If procrastinating to avoid 1. doesn’t help with 1. then never give me your IM handle.
- Don’t even give your IM handle to someone who might give it to me.
- Memorise Matt Cheney’s rules for writing. They totally will ensure that you do lots of 1.
- Split as many infinitives as you can.
- Always add at least one zombie—even if it’s not to your writing.
- Seriously, giving me your IM handle will ensure that you never write again. Don’t do it.
There’s no rule no. 10 because I’m living in a barbaric country that doesn’t have metric. Whatcha gunna do?