Blessed release: Magic’s Child is now on its way into Polly Watson’s genius copyediting hands. Thank Elvis!
I confess I was worried. Especially when Penguin’s spring catalogue arrived with Magic’s Child listed as if it was an actual finished book. Gah! I thought. Booksellers will be ordering a non-existent book!
Well, it exists now—in finished form even! And, if you don’t object to a moment of skiting, it’s not too foul, not too foul at all. Phew!
Rather than thanking all the peoples what helped (their moment of glory is in the book’s acks) I’m gunna list the music what got me through the last few gruelling weeks:
- Benny Goodman Sextet (with Charlie Christian prominently featured)
- Billie Holiday
- Blur (Think Tank—thanks Andrew)
- Cat Power (Moon Pix—thanks Richard)
- DJ Dangermouse (The Grey Album)
- Fairuz (Zikrayat—thanks Tina)
- Gorecki: Symphony No. 3 Sad and Sorrowful Songs (Gritton, Simonov)
- In The Mood For Love soundtrack (Michael Galasso—thanks, Adrian)
- Missy Elliott (The Cookbook)
- Piazzolla (Yo-Yo Ma)
- Ray Charles (Modern Sounds In Country and Western Music and The Very Best Of Ray Charles)
- Sarband (Sepharad)
- The Shangri Las (“Past Present Future” cracks me up every single time. Genius! Thanks Ray for telling me about the Myrmidons Of Melodrama compilation)
- Shuggie Otis (Inspiration Information)
- The Streets (Original Pirate Material—thanks Rob)
- Sufjan Stevens (Come On Feel The Illinoise!—thanks Mike)
I wonder if the resulting book is at all influenced by any of that music? Looking at the list also makes me realise it’s time for some new music. Should at least get the new Cat Powers . . .
Reading things like this and all your encouraging comments here and in email also helped me get through my toughest novel writing experience thus far. Who knew that wrapping up a trilogy would be such a bugger?
I’m so happy it’s finished. Doesn’t the complete trilogy look fine? Imagine it sitting all together on the bookshelf!
And now I sleep for a week or more. (Scott, wake me up when the copyedits arrive.)